Experience life in an ancient city where twenty centuries of Western civilization are still evident in buildings graced by Roman, Medieval, and Renaissance architecture. Today, Poitiers is a center for education, agriculture, industry and communications. A university town, Poitiers boasts a population of 85,000 within a larger metropolitan area of 140,000 and offers students a chance to live in a manageably sized city while still being close to the larger cities such as Paris and Bordeaux. The Université de Poitiers is a comprehensive university comprised of 23,000 students taking courses in 14 different colleges, institutes and schools. Poitiers is in the storied western region of France, in close proximity to the Loire Valley and its châteaux, the Atlantic coast, Basque country, and Normandy, with Paris less than two hours by train.
This program allows students to enroll in either French language courses or regular university courses in many fields of study, taught entirely in French. Some University of Poitiers courses are also available in English. The language program is open to students with at least one year of college-level French while students interested in a full schedule of direct enroll courses should complete at least three year college-level French. With opportunities for engagement in the local community and options to take studio art courses at Les Beaux Arts de Poitiers, the program offers unique aspects unavailable in other locations.
- The University of Poitiers offers a broad array of academic disciplines and courses in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and business
- Poitiers participants who are studying art may take a studio art course at Les Beaux Arts de Poitiers on a case-by-case basis
- A center for Erasmus, the European exchange program, the Université de Poitiers attracts 4,000 international students each year which is a larger percentage of the overall student enrollment (17%) than any other university in France
- Students of theater arts and film studies will benefit from Poitiers’ wonderful program in “arts de spectacle,” including all aspects of stage and film studies
- The medieval studies center at the Université de Poitiers is one of the largest and best in France
- Still nestled into its medieval walls, Poitiers is one of the most intact medieval cities of Europe, with its church from the 900’s proudly standing in the center of the walled area
- Fall: late August – mid December
- Winter/Spring: early January – late May
- Fall/Winter/Spring: late August – late May