Health and Safety Emergencies: (541) 737-7000
Willamette University (WU): Willamette is a nationally renowned, highly selective private liberal arts university in...

Willamette University (WU): Willamette is a nationally renowned, highly selective private liberal arts university in Salem, Oregon. Founded in 1842, Willamette is the first university established in the western U.S. and has become a national leader in sustainability and civic engagement. WU’s beautiful, historic campus, located across the street from the Oregon Capitol, features a residential undergraduate College of Liberal Arts and two professional graduate schools: the College of Law, and the Atkinson Graduate School of Management. Through small classes, close student-faculty relationships, a commitment to collaborative research and a variety of programs to meet individual student objectives, WU provides an environment where teaching and learning flourish.

WU Academic Programs: Undergraduate/Graduate

This program is ONLY open to international students who are currently a registered student at one of our partner institutions and have been nominated by their home institution to participate in the IE3 Global reciprocal exchange program. All applications should be sent with the endorsement of your home institution. Any applications sent independently will not be considered. Exchange students will be admitted as non-degree students which permits students to enroll in undergraduate courses of their choice. At Willamette University, your class standing for the purposes of class registration will be based on your date of graduation from your home university.

Fall: March 15th
Winter: October 15th
Spring: October 15th

To study at Willamette University under this reciprocal exchange program, you must be a student at one of the following institutions and you must be nominated by your home university for participation. Please contact the International Exchange department or office at your university to start an application with IE3 Global.


Open only to BW students

Must complete the IE3 Global online application

Proof of English Proficiency dated within 2 years of beginning of program

Accepted forms of proof:

    • iBT: 83
    • PBT: 560
    • CBT: 220
    • TOEFL Home Edition scores are accepted
    • TOEFL MyBest Scores are accepted
  • IELTS: 6.5
    • Indicator (at home) test scores are accepted
  • PTE overall score of 60
  • DET (Duolingo English Test) overall score of 105

Official transcripts, degrees, and certificates from all colleges/universities (in English)

  • For graduate students: An equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor's degree. Special consideration is given to students from Germany who have completed the Vordiplom or Zwischenprüfung (following 7 years at a Gymnasium).

Adequate financial documentation that shows sufficient funds to pay for the length of your program (1 or 2 semesters per the pricing shown below). You must include either an Award Letter (original or certified copies), a Loan Letter, a Bank Statement, or a Bank Letter signed by a bank official indicating sufficient funds and verification that the amount required above is available for your use. All proof of funding needs to be in English or accompanied by an English translation and be dated within 9 months of the program start date (not the application due date). We cannot accept/use investment account statements for this purpose.

Personal Statement in English addressing the following item: As you prepare to spend a semester or year abroad studying at Willamette University, introduce yourself and explain your goals for immersing yourself into the academic life and culture of Willamette University and the surrounding community. What specific situations from your past (i.e. coursework, job experience, travel, intercultural experience) have helped you prepare to accomplish these goals?


STEP 1: You must be nominated by your home university.

STEP 2: Receive an email with instructions on how to create your applicant account using the unique passcode supplied and begin your application.

STEP 3: Prepare your application materials and submit them to your home university exchange coordinator by or before the deadline.

Application processing timeline:

Upon submission of your application and ALL supporting materials, you should expect the evaluation and processing time to take at least 30 to 60 days.


Under the terms of the exchange agreement, students receive tuition waivers for the period of their exchange. Summer is not included in the tuition waiver. The remaining expenses are estimated to be:

Undergraduate & Graduate 9 Months
Waived Tuition -$45,000
Non-Instructional Fees -$260
Room and board ** $14,240
Residence Hall Fee $150 ($75 per semester, N/A for campus apartments)
Orientation Fee $120 (one time charge)
Books and Supplies $1,094
Insurance (estimated) $3,296
TOTAL $18,900

Estimated costs for:

1 semester =    $9,450

2 semesters =  $18,900

** Room and Board rates are based on Residence Hall rates for standard double occupancy room and a 19-meal dining plan. Cost can vary significantly if a student chooses on-campus room upgrades or lives off- campus.

Your Declaration of Finances should demonstrate that this amount of money is available for your expenses during the entire duration of your exchange program. Be sure that your bank statements or other documents indicate an amount equal to or greater than this total. All costs are approximate and subject to change. The exchange program does not cover summer term tuition. No international travel costs are included.

In Oregon, university classes are called "courses" and are usually listed in a "Schedule of Classes" or an "Academic Catalog" or "Course Catalog". Students need to take a combination of courses that totals 12 academic credits each semester they are in Oregon in order to be considered a full-time student. On the Course Preference form, we ask that you list as many classes as possible so that if some are not available when the time comes to register, you will still have others to fall back on. Flexibility is key.

In most cases, you will need to find the section of the catalog (if it is a PDF) that lists information about the subject you wish to study. Within that subject's section, you should be able to find a list of courses offered. Please pay attention to "prerequisite" listings - if you would like to take a class that has prerequisites, you will need to be able to prove that you have the educational background in that subject area to override or waive the prerequisites.

Click here for the online General Catalog to see detailed descriptions of all classes based on the subject/major. When you click on a subject, you will see the course listings. Underneath each listing you will be able to see when the course is offered. If a course is offered "Annually" it means it is offered all year; if a course is offered "On Demand" it means the availability will depend on the amount of student interest; if a course is offered in the "Spring" then it is offered in the spring semester, and the same goes for "Fall" being offered in the fall semester.

You will need a passport from your government and a visa from the United States Embassy/Consulate to enter the United States.

Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1)
Students receiving funding from the United States government, a foreign government, or an Oregon institution may come to the United States on a J-1 visa. To obtain a visa, you should present your Certificate of Eligibility DS-2019 to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country (see list below), along with your documents of financial support, your passport, and other required materials. The spouse and children of a J-1 student may request dependent (or J-2) visas if they are listed on the DS-2019 form.

The visa interview may include questions about your plans to study in the United States, and about your documentation for admission (acceptance letter, financial certification, language proficiency, and academic records). The visa officer may also ask about your plans to return home after your studies, since that is an expectation of a nonimmigrant student visa.

Do not enter the United States on a Visitor Visa (B-2)!
This visa is intended for those coming as tourists to the United States. It should not be used by students or exchange visitors who have been admitted to an Oregon institution. If the B-2 visa is used by students who have not discussed their study plans with the United States Consul, it is unlikely that the immigration status will be changed to a student or exchange visitor once the student has entered the United States.

Be sure to bring your DS-2019 with you to the United States. If you wish to travel outside of the U.S. you will need to obtain a travel signature from the International Student Advisor at your Oregon institution.

Visit the U.S. Embassy search page to locate a U.S. Embassy near you and to see specific instructions on how to obtain the J-1 visa in your country.

While you are a student at WU, you have different housing options. Many international exchange students choose to stay in the residence halls. This is a wonderful experience that allows international students to meet and get to know their American student peers while they become fully immersed in college life. Living on campus is also the more convenient option as on-campus residents live within walking distance of most, if not all, university buildings.

Students can find more information about on-campus residence halls, available dining services, costs, application deadlines, and much more online through the WU Housing Information website for International Students.

All international students and their accompanying dependents are required to have health insurance while enrolled at a U.S. institution.

Medical costs can be very expensive in the U.S. and it is in your best interest that you have health insurance. As part of your immigration status as a J-1 Exchange Visitor or an F-1 Student, the U.S. government has set minimum requirements for health insurance coverage. For information about health insurance at WU please visit the WU Health Insurance website for International Students for information about their requirements and services.

Your arrival in the United States takes very careful planning. There are several important factors to consider that range from what to bring, to transportation from the airport to campus, and so on. Each Oregon institution conducts a mandatory orientation for international students at the beginning of each term to help integrate them into the American student lifestyle. The exact days and the length of each orientation vary from year to year, thus international students should not expect to receive orientation date and location information until they have been formally acceptance to WU. To see information about orientation at WU, visit their International Student Orientation website.

Traveling in Oregon:

Information on the State of Oregon:


Fall | Spring

Application Deadline

Fall: March 15th
Winter: October 15th
Spring: October 15th