Health and Safety Emergencies: (541) 737-7000
Oregon Institute of Technology | Klamath Falls, OR, USA Oregon Institute of Technology  (OT): Oregon...

Oregon Institute of Technology | Klamath Falls, OR, USA

Oregon Institute of Technology  (OT): Oregon Institute of Technology is the only public, accredited institute of technology in the Pacific Northwest. We partner with business and industry leaders to ensure our programs adapt to new technologies and workforce demands. Oregon Tech has  locations throughout the Pacific Northwest  which include the traditional four-year campus in  Klamath Falls, as well as two locations just south of the Portland Metro  area.

OT Academic Programs:  Undergraduate  /  Graduate

This program is ONLY open to international students who are currently a registered student at one of our  partner institutions  and have been nominated by their home institution to participate in the IE3 Global reciprocal exchange program. All applications should be sent with the endorsement of your home institution. Any applications sent independently will  not  be considered. Exchange students will be admitted as non-degree students which permits students to enroll in graduate or undergraduate courses of their choice (but without a level, i.e., freshman, sophomore, junior, senior).

Academic years consist of three terms:

  • Fall: September – December
  • Winter: January – March
  • Spring: April – June

Fall: March 15th
Winter: October 15th
Spring: October 15th

To study in Oregon under this reciprocal exchange program, you must be a student at one of the following institutions and you must be nominated by your home university for participation. Please contact the International Exchange department or office at your university to start an application with IE3 Global.





Must complete the IE3 Global online application

Proof of English Proficiency*

Accepted forms of proof:

    • iBT: 68
    • PBT: 520
    • CBT: 190
  • IELTS: 6.5
  • Level 112 course completed at an ESL Language Center
  • Grade B or better in Writing 121 from a regionally accredited U.S. college/university

Official transcripts, degrees, and certificates from all colleges/universities (in English)

  • A minimum GPA of 2.3 is required

Adequate financial documentation that shows sufficient funds to pay for the length of your program (1 term, 2 terms, 3 terms - pricing shown below). You must include either an Award Letter (original or certified copies), a Loan Letter, a Bank Statement, or a Bank Letter signed by a bank official indicating sufficient funds and verification that the amount required above is available for your use. All proof of funding needs to be in English or accompanied by an English translation and be dated within 9 months of the program start date (not the application due date). We cannot accepted/use investment account statements for this purpose.

*NOTE: Some graduate departments may have higher English proficiency requirements and extra application materials. Students are expected to research the possibility of additional requirements.

STEP 1: You must be nominated by your home university.

STEP 2: Receive an email with instructions on how to create your applicant account using the unique passcode supplied and begin your application.

STEP 3: Prepare your application materials and submit them to your home university exchange coordinator by or before the deadline.

Application processing timeline:

Upon submission of your application and ALL supporting materials, you should expect the evaluation and processing time to take at least 30 to 60 days.

2015-2016 (figures are out of date, subject to change)

Under the terms of the exchange agreement, students receive tuition waivers for 12 credits of undergraduate level courses. Summer term is not included in the tuition waiver. The remaining expenses are estimated to be:


Undergraduate 9 months
Fees (non-instructional) $3,025
Health Insurance $915
Books $1,300
Supplies and Incidentals $2,500
Room and Board** $8,400
TOTAL: $14,600


 Estimated costs for: 

  • 1 term = $5,380
  • 2 terms = $10,760
  • 3 terms = $16,140

**Room and Board rates are based on Residence Hall rates. Cost can vary significantly if a student chooses to live off-campus.

Your Declaration of Finances should demonstrate that this amount of money is available for your expenses during the entire duration of your exchange program. Be sure that your bank statements or other documents indicate an amount equal to or greater than this total. All costs are approximate and subject to change. The exchange program does not cover summer term tuition. No international travel costs are included.


In Oregon, university classes are called courses and are usually listed in a Schedule of Classes or an Academic Catalog or Course Catalog. Students need to take a combination of courses that totals  12 academic credits  each term they are in Oregon in order to be considered a full-time student (in most cases students will take 4 courses worth 3 credits each). On the Course Preference form, we ask that you list as many classes as possible so that if some are not available when the time comes to register, you will still have others to fall back on. Flexibility is key.

In most cases, you will need to find the section of the catalog (if it is a PDF) that lists information about the subject you wish to study. Within that subject's section, you should be able to find a list of courses offered. Please pay attention to prerequisite listings if you would like to take a class that has prerequisites, you will need to be able to prove that you have the educational background in that subject area to override or waive the prerequisites.

Please use the  Oregon Institute of Technology  website to download PDFs of the current or past Academic Catalogs. If the academic year that you are coming to Oregon is listed, use that to find classes. If your academic year is not listed, use the most recent academic year to pull classes from. In many cases classes repeat themselves every year.


You will need a passport from your government and a visa from the United States Embassy/Consulate to enter the United States.

Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1)
Students receiving funding from the United States government, a foreign government, or an Oregon institution may come to the United States on a J-1 visa.  To obtain a visa, you should present your Certificate of Eligibility DS-2019 to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country (see list below), along with your documents of financial support, your passport, and other required materials. The spouse and children of a J-1 student may request dependent (or J-2) visas if they are listed on the DS-2019 form.

The visa interview may include questions about your plans to study in the United States,  and about your documentation for admission (acceptance letter, financial certification, language proficiency, and academic records). The visa officer may also ask about your plans to return home after your studies, since that is an expectation of a nonimmigrant student visa.

Do not enter the United States on a Visitor €™s Visa (B-2)!
This visa is intended for those coming as tourists to the United States. It should not be used by students or exchange visitors who have been admitted to an Oregon institution.  If the B-2 visa is used by students who have not discussed their study plans with the United States Consul, it is unlikely that the immigration status will be changed to a student or exchange visitor once the student has entered the United States.

Be sure to bring your DS-2019 with you to the United States. If you wish to travel outside of the U.S. you will need to obtain a travel signature from the International Student Advisor at your Oregon institution.

Below you will find contact information for the U.S. Embassy in your country and from there, specific instructions on how to obtain the J-1 visa.

Australia  |  China  |  Ecuador  |  France  |  Germany  |  Ireland  |  Japan  |  South Korea | Spain  |  Mexico  |  Thailand  |  United Kingdom

While you are a student at OT, you have different housing options. Many international exchange students choose to stay in the residence halls. This is a wonderful experience that allows international students to meet and get to know their American student peers while they become fully immersed in college life. Living on campus is also the more convenient option as on-campus residents live within walking distance of most, if not all, university buildings.

Students can find more information about on-campus residence halls, available dining services, costs, application deadlines, and much more online through the OT Housing website.

All international students and their accompanying dependents are required to have health insurance while enrolled at a U.S. institution.

Medical costs can be very expensive in the U.S. and it is in your best interest that you have health insurance. As part of your immigration status as a J-1 Exchange Visitor or an F-1 Student, the U.S. government has set minimum requirements for health insurance coverage. For information about health insurance at OT please visit the OT Health Center website for International Students for information about their requirements and services.

Your arrival in the United States takes very careful planning. There are several important factors to consider that range from what to bring, to transportation from the airport to campus, and so on. Each Oregon institution conducts a mandatory orientation for international students at the beginning of each term to help integrate them into the American student lifestyle. The exact days and the length of each orientation vary from year to year, thus international students should not expect to receive orientation date and location information until they have been formally acceptance to OT. To see information about orientation at OT, visit their International Student Orientation website.

Traveling in Oregon:

Information on the State of Oregon:


Fall | Winter | Spring

Application Deadline

Fall: March 15th
Winter: October 15th
Spring: October 15th