Health and Safety Emergencies: (541) 737-7000
IE3 Global provides high-quality study abroad, internship, research, exchange, and faculty-led programs to the students of our partner campuses throughout the Northwest and beyond.

Eastern Oregon University | La Grande, OR, USA

Eastern Oregon University EOU was founded in 1929 as a teachers college and today serves as a regional University and center for education, culture and scholarship. Located in La Grande along the Oregon Trail, EOU is surrounded by the Blue Mountains, Eagle Cap Wilderness and Elkhorn Mountains. EOU is located between Portland, Oregon and Boise, Idaho, just off interstate 84.

EOU Academic Programs: Undergraduate / Graduate

This program is ONLY open to international students who are currently a registered student at one of our partner institutions and have been nominated by their home institution to participate in the IE3 Global reciprocal exchange program. All applications should be sent with the endorsement of your home institution. Any applications sent independently will not be considered. Exchange students will be admitted as non-degree students which permits students to enroll in graduate or undergraduate courses of their choice (but without a level, i.e., freshman, sophomore, junior, senior).

Academic years consist of three terms:

  • Fall: September – December
  • Winter: January – March
  • Spring: April – June

Fall: March 15th
Winter: October 15th
Spring: October 15th

Must complete the IE3 Global online application

Must complete the EOU International Student application (do not pay the app fee!)

Proof of English Proficiency dated within 2 years of beginning of program*

Accepted forms of proof:

    • iBT: 61
    • PBT: 500
    • “My Best Score” report IS NOT accepted at EOU at this time
  • IELTS: 5.0
  • Completion of level 112 from an English Language School

Official transcripts, degrees, and certificates from all colleges/universities (in English)

  • A minimum GPA of 2.25 is required
  • For graduate students: An equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor's degree. Special consideration is given to students from Germany who have completed the Vordiplom or Zwischenprüfung and for students from France who have completed the License.

Adequate financial documentation that shows sufficient funds to pay for the length of your program (1 term, 2 terms, 3 terms pricing shown below). You must include either an Award Letter (original or certified copies), a Loan Letter, a Bank Statement, or a Bank Letter signed by a bank official indicating sufficient funds and verification that the amount required above is available for your use. All proof of funding needs to be in English or accompanied by an English translation and be dated within 9 months of the program start date (not the application due date). We cannot accepted/use investment account statements for this purpose.

*NOTE: Some graduate departments may have higher English proficiency requirements and extra application materials - students are expected to research the possibility of additional requirements.

STEP 1: You must be nominated by your home university.

STEP 2: Receive an email with instructions on how to create your applicant account using the unique passcode supplied and begin your application.

STEP 3: Prepare your application materials and submit them to your home university exchange coordinator by or before the deadline.

Application processing timeline:

Upon submission of your application and ALL supporting materials, you should expect the evaluation and processing time to take at least 30 to 60 days.


Under the terms of the exchange agreement, students receive tuition waivers for 12 credits of undergraduate level courses or 9 credits of graduate level courses. Summer term is not included in the tuition waiver. The remaining expenses are estimated to be:

Undergraduate 9 months
Fees Non-Instructional $1,586
Medical Insurance $1,500
Books and Supplies $1,335
Room and Board (includes meal plan) $11,300
Personal Expenses $2,500
Transportation $1,323
TOTAL $19,544


Estimated costs for:

  • 1 term = $6,515
  • 2 terms = $13,030
  • 3 terms = $19,544

Your Declaration of Finances should demonstrate that this amount of money is available for your expenses during the entire duration of your exchange program. Be sure that your bank statements or other documents indicate an amount equal to or greater than this total. All costs are approximate and subject to change. The exchange program does not cover summer term tuition. No international travel costs are included. 

In Oregon, university classes are called courses and are usually listed in a Schedule of Classes or an Academic Catalog or Course Catalog. Students need to take a combination of courses that totals  12 academic credits for undergraduate and 9 for graduates each term they are in Oregon in order to be considered a full-time student (in most cases students will take 4 courses worth 3 credits each). On the Course Preference form, we ask that you list as many classes as possible so that if some are not available when the time comes to register, you will still have others to fall back on. Flexibility is key.

In most cases, you will need to find the section of the catalog (if it is a PDF) that lists information about the subject you wish to study. Within that subject's section, you should be able to find a list of courses offered. Please pay attention to prerequisite listings if you would like to take a class that has prerequisites, you will need to be able to prove that you have the educational background in that subject area to override or waive the prerequisites.

Please use the  Eastern Oregon University catalog website  to look up classes. You can download PDFs of the current or past Academic Catalogs. If your academic year is not listed, use the most recent academic year to pull classes from. In many cases, classes will repeat themselves every year.

The catalog might not list what terms each class is available, in this case, just list all of the classes you wish to take while you are in Oregon without worrying about the terms. After you are accepted EOU will assist you with organizing them based on what term they are available.  

You will need a passport from your government and a visa from the United States Embassy/Consulate to enter the United States.  

Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1)
Students receiving funding from the United States government, a foreign government, or an Oregon institution may come to the United States on a J-1 visa or an F-1 visa.  At this point in time, EOU only offers F-1 visas to exchange students. To obtain a visa, you should present your I-20 (which EOU will give to you) to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country (see list below), along with your documents of financial support, your passport, and other required materials.

The visa interview may include questions about your plans to study in the United States,  and about your documentation for admission (acceptance letter, financial certification, language proficiency, and academic records). The visa officer may also ask about your plans to return home after your studies, since that is an expectation of a nonimmigrant student visa.

Do not enter the United States on a Visitor's Visa (B-2)!
This visa is intended for those coming as tourists to the United States. It should not be used by students or exchange visitors who have been admitted to an Oregon institution.  If the B-2 visa is used by students who have not discussed their study plans with the United States Consul, it is unlikely that the immigration status will be changed to a student or exchange visitor once the student has entered the United States.

Be sure to bring your I-20 with you to the United States. If you wish to travel outside of the U.S. you will need to obtain a travel signature from the International Student Advisor at your Oregon institution.

Visit the U.S. Embassy search page to locate a U.S. Embassy near you and to see specific instructions on how to obtain the J-1 visa in your country.

All undergraduate international students are required to live on campus their first year at EOU. Residence hall students must sign up for a meal plan unless they are living in Alikut Hall the apartment type residence hall. Food is prepared and served on campus in Hoke Union Building. Students may apply online at no cost at through the EOU Residence Life website.

This is a wonderful experience that allows international students to meet and get to know their American student peers while they become fully immersed in college life. Living on campus is also the more convenient option as on-campus residents live within walking distance of most, if not all, university buildings.

All international students and their accompanying dependents are required to have health insurance while enrolled at a U.S. institution.

Medical costs can be very expensive in the U.S. and it is in your best interest that you have health insurance. As part of your immigration status as a J-1 Exchange Visitor or an F-1 Student, the U.S. government has set minimum requirements for health insurance coverage. There is an option to apply to waive the student insurance if you have adequate health insurance from your home country (it must meet EOU's standards). For information about health insurance at EOU please visit the EOU Health Insurance website or visit the EOU Health Center website for information about their services.

Your arrival in the United States takes very careful planning. There are several important factors to consider that range from what to bring, to transportation from the airport to campus, and so on. Each Oregon institution conducts a mandatory orientation for international students at the beginning of each term to help integrate them into the American student lifestyle. The exact days and the length of each orientation vary from year to year, thus international students should not expect to receive orientation date and location information until they have been formally acceptance to EOU. To see information about orientation at EOU, visit their International Student Orientation website


Traveling in Oregon:

Information on the State of Oregon:

Union County:


Fall | Winter | Spring

Application Deadline

Fall: March 15th
Winter: October 15th
Spring: October 15th