Santander is one of the most emblematic and important cities of Spain’s northern coast, where sandy beaches and majestic mountains meet in a green and temperate climate. This mid-sized port city dates back to Roman times, and is now home to a well-regarded resort industry centered around its eleven picturesque beaches and delicious food. Santander is the capital of the Autonomous Region of Cantabria, and is also the home of Banco Santander, the largest bank in the Eurozone.
Students in this program take a variety of classes in the Centro de Idiomas at the University of Cantabria, including grammar, conversation, art history and contemporary Spain and receive approximately 16 upper-division Spanish credits.
One of the major highlights of this program is the opportunity to assist in local schools as a language assistant and gain crucial classroom experience in teaching English as a Foreign Language, a career path that many language majors consider, and a great way to live abroad in the future. Other service opportunities will include working with local NGOs and at local health care centers and hospitals. This is a great opportunity to put some international work experience on your resume!
This is a program that will have you integrate into the local culture and immerse yourself in the language, geography, and history of Spain. This program will challenge you to grow and create relationships and pathways that will create a variety of opportunities for your future endeavors.
Other Highlights include:
- A knowledgeable and experienced Resident Director who will support you throughout your stay and take you on a variety of excursions around the region.
- Conversation partners with local university students who will act as your ongoing social and linguistic reference.
- A vibrant community of locals who are eager to speak Spanish with you.
- Opportunities to participate in student groups at the University of Cantabria.
- Experienced homestay families who have supported our students for many years.
- Santander is a travel hub with an excellent international airport and access to reasonably priced flights from Ryan Air and other airlines to destinations around Europe.
- Spring: end of March – early June (same as spring term)