IE3 Global facilitates an academic study abroad program wherein students from IE3 Global’s partner institutions in Oregon can visit James Cook University, and vice versa. This program allows for students to direct enroll in undergraduate courses in several subject fields and is suitable for students from most majors.
James Cook University offers quality academics in a unique tropical setting. JCU is located in north Queensland, which is on the northeast corner of Australia. Queensland contains a wide diversity of landscapes, including beaches, the Great Barrier Reef, rainforests and it even stretches into the Outback. If you’re looking for tropical Australia, this is the university for you.
The main campuses of JCU are located in the coastal cities of Cairns and Townsville. Cairns is about 200 miles north of Townsville, and has a population of around 130,000. Because of its proximity to several important natural attractions, Cairns has become one of Australia’s busiest tourist areas. Described as the rainforest campus, Cairns is located below rainforest-covered mountains.
Townsville is a bit larger in comparison, with a population of 160,000. Townsville is a stepping off point for visiting the Great Barrier Reef and is only one hour from the Wet Tropics rainforests of Paluma. It is a 20 minute ferry ride from Magnetic Island. The Townsville campus is well known for marine biology.
- Established in 1961, James Cook University has earned global respect as a leader in the teaching and research of disciplines relevant to the tropics.
- Due to the unique tropical location, the environmental science and marine biology programs are hands-on and among the best in the world.
- The JCU Study Abroad Program offers an opportunity to study subjects which contain a field trip component in some of Australia’s most beautiful regions.
- JCU is Australia’s leading tropical research university doing work in areas such as biodiversity, sustainable management of tropical ecosystems, global warming, tropical agriculture, and tropical health care in remote communities and cultural diversity.
- Students will enjoy a spectacular natural environment while taking classes.
James Cook University is on a semester system, which they also refer to as Teaching Periods. Students are eligible to study for a semester or an academic year on this program. It is important to remember that because Australia is below the equator the seasons in Australia are reversed from the seasons in the Unites States. Australian students also start their academic year in the fall, but fall for Australia begins in February.
- Summer/Fall: mid July – late November
- Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring: mid July – mid June
- Winter/Spring: mid February – mid June
- Winter/Spring/Fall: mid February – late November
Each semester is comprised of 13 weeks of teaching, with a one-week break in the middle of the semester and a one-week study period before exams.