- Focus: Primary Care and Health Justice, Hospital and Inpatient Medicine, Rural and Tropical Medicine
- Location: 5 weeks in Oaxaca City and 5 weeks in Puerto Escondido, Mexico
- Language: 75 hours of Spanish language classes included in the program
As an intern with Child and Family Health International (CFHI) in Oaxaca, Mexico you will be immersed in the vibrant local culture while improving your Spanish proficiency, gaining practical experience in clinical settings, and volunteering at local NGOs.
For the first 5 weeks of your internship, join local healthcare professionals in the state capital, Oaxaca City, renowned for its colonial architecture and friendly people, and participate in clinical rotations at community level clinics and hospitals serving low-income populations. Learn about the importance of primary care and community health education programs.
For the next 5 weeks of your internship, focus on rural health issues and learn about tropical disease management and prevention strategies in Puerto Escondido, a small fishing town on the coast of Oaxaca. Puerto Escondido is known for its spectacular tropical beaches, coastal lagoons and slower pace of life.
This program is ideal for those with little Spanish background, who want to develop this vital skill used every day in today’s healthcare settings. Interns in this program will also improve their cultural competency to better serve growing Mexican immigrant populations in the US and other countries.
- Fall: October 7 – December 16, 2017
- Winter: January 6 – March 17, 2018
- Spring: April 7 – June 16, 2018
- Summer: July 7 – September 15, 2018
Duration of Internship:
- 10 weeks