If you are Abroad and Require Immediate Assistance

1.  Contact AXA

+1 (312) 935-1711 (Collect from outside the United States)
+1 (855) 327-1455 (Toll-free within the United States)

Use Policy Number: SRPO-50416-405

2. Contact (or have someone contact) IE3 Global

Main Office (during office hours): +1 (541) 737-3006

Oregon State University Office of Public Safety (after hours or on weekends): +1 (541) 737-7000

Insurance Information

Your IE3 program fee includes international health insurance, provided by Gallagher. The plan includes 24-hour emergency support by AXA, zero deductible health insurance, and access to WebCorp which offers online access to real-time security and health information. This plan is provided as a complement to whatever health insurance you normally have in the U.S.  Please read the IE3 Global Plan Brochure detailing coverage and exclusions.

Automatic Enrollment

You will be enrolled for the dates of your internship or study abroad program plus approximately one week prior and one week after your program dates (there is nothing you need to do to be enrolled, it will be done for you).  You will be notified of your enrollment by e-mail. 

On the plan website, you will also find documents with information such as how to file a claim, coverage limitations and exclusions, what to do in case of an emergency, and contact information for questions or help.  It is your responsibility to read the documentation provided and understand your insurance plan.

Coverage Summary

  • Up to $250,000 lifetime coverage per incident/injury/illness
  • $0 (zero) deductible (Note: Be prepared to pay for your medical care up front. Once you submit a claim to Health Special Risk, Inc., you will be reimbursed for eligible charges.)
  • 24-hour emergency support from AXA, including guaranteed hospital admission, emergency medical evacuation, prescription assistance, and repatriation of remains. Note: AXA should be contacted first to assist you in finding appropriate medical care.
  • Access to Webcorp, which offers online access to real-time travel security and health information, as well as country specific practical information.

Filing a Claim

  • For non-emergency care, you will be required to pay up-front for services, collect receipts and then file a claim.To file a claim, you will need to complete a claim form with Health Special Risk, Inc. To download a claim form, click here.
  • Fill out the form and submit it with your receipts for treatment. When completing the claim form, use policy number, SRPO-50416-405. Your Medical ID number is the same as your student ID number at your home institution.
  • Keep copies of the claim form and the receipts for yourself.
  • Send the completed claim form (one per incident) and supporting documents, to the address listed on the claim form.

If you have any questions about filing a claim, contact Health Special Risk, Inc. directly:

In the U.S. only: +1 (866) 523-3183

Leisure Travel and Dependent Coverage

If you plan to remain outside the U.S. beyond the dates you are covered by the program or if a partner or dependent plans to accompany you during your internship, it is recommended you purchase supplementary health insurance that covers reimbursement for medical expenses, emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains. There are many providers of such insurance and we recommend you shop for the one that most closely meets your coverage needs. A list of some of these providers can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. This list is provided for informational purposes only and does not represent an endorsement of any of the providers on the part of the IE3 Global program.

Gallagher, the insurance provider used by IE3 Global and through which you receive coverage during your internship or study abroad program, also offers a Leisure Travel Extension Plan and Dependent Enrollment. Click here to purchase leisure travel extension coverage or dependent coverage.


Please click here for a list of FAQ's regarding the insurance coverage through Gallagher.